East Germany existed for 40 years. It has been already 25 years since the the demonstrations in Leipzig that started the collapse of the state, began. NOMOS Glashütte is celebrating the this anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall with a special edition watch: Orion 1989. NOMOS company was founded just after reunification.
Today, Zenith draws inspiration from this landmark model in offering a reinterpretation: the El Primero Stratos Flyback Rainbow, driven by the El Primero Calibre 405 B automatic movement. While this chronograph naturally beats at the frequency of 36,000 vibrations per hour enabling 1/10th second precision, it is also equipped with a date display, a telemetric scale, and the famous flyback function. Closely bound up with the world of aviation, the latter enables pilots to stop, start and restart the chronograph at a single press on the push-piece, instead of three presses required for a standard chronograph.
The 45.5 mm steel case is topped by a rotating bezel bearing an aluminium ring. The rounded sapphire crystal is shaped like an astrodome – the dome located on the fuselage’s dorsal ridge to enable astronavigation. The equally transparent engraved sapphire caseback reveals the mechanism of the El Primero 405B calibre. On the dial side, the minutes counter at 3 o’clock appears in colours enabling night-time readings in infrared-lit cockpits, exactly like the first model , while the hours are displayed at 6 o’clock and the small seconds at 9 o’clock. The white superluminova hour-markers make a contrast with the black of the dial and case, while the chronograph sweep seconds hand stands out in red. The inner bezel ring bearing a telemetric scale creates an overall depth effect.
NOMOS Glashütte Orion 1989
• stainless steel, tripartite; diameter 38 mm; curved sapphire crystal glass; curved sapphire crystal glass back, height 8.86 mm
• galvanized, stamped indexes, diamond-polished
• steel, gold-plated
NOMOS α (Alpha) caliber with manual winding
• α (Alpha)—NOMOS caliber with manual winding
• Power reserve ca. 43 hours
• Decentralized seconds, stop-seconds mechanism, 17 ruby bearings, Glashütte stopwork, Incabloc shock protection, balance spring from Nivarox 1A, adjusted in six positions, tempered blue screws, rhodium-plated movement surfaces with Glashütte ribbing and NOMOS perlage, ratchet and crown wheel with Glashütte sunburstwith SLN C1 superluminova